Latest Event Updates
With the winter weather we have been having, the best thing for these cold days is a nice crock of soup! Recently, the biologist and I (ok, mostly him) made THE BEST French Onion soup I have ever had in my entire life. We adapted a recipe from his aunt with a little help from Smitten Kitchen. It is a little time-consuming, but totally worth it. See what you think….
- 1 1/2 pounds (about three) thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 12 1″ thick French Bread, toasted until golden brown
- 2 Cups grated Gruyere cheese
Melt the butter and oil together in the bottom of a 5-quart saucepan over low heat. Add the onions, toss to coat, add a pinch of salt and cover the pot. Reduce the heat to low and slowly cook for 15 minutes.
Uncover the pot, raise the heat and add the salt and sugar. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes until they have turned a deep golden brown. Stir often so that they cook evenly. While you wait, you can watch your roommate juggle the leftover onions
Once the onions have reached that perfect caramel color – add flour, stir, and cook about 3 minutes. Mix in the white wine, then the stock, stirring between each addition. Throw in the bay leaf and the red wine. Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered for 30 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
While the soup is finishing up, preheat oven to 350. Arrange four ovenproof soup crocks on a large baking sheet and add soup, leaving room on top for toasted bread. Top with toast and grated Gruyere…add as much as you want! Bake soups for 10 minutes, then preheat broiler. Broil for several minutes until golden brown on the top. Serve immediately and top with parsley or chives.
Hi Guys! If you are looking for a little holiday inspiration, look no further! Here is a mash up of some things I have been looking at lately:
- The versatile sweater: wear this to an Ugly Sweater Party, give it as a gift…or just put it on. “Conversation Piece” – I think so.
- I made this cheese ball yesterday. YUM!!
- You could have some people over and dazzle them with one of these festive cocktails
- Dominate Secret Santa
- Here are some wonderful holiday DIY ideas. Unfortunately, like I talked about here, I am not much of a decorator – so I haven’t made any ornaments…but I am excited about the gift tags.
- My sisters and I used to sing this song (we didn’t really, but we watched the movie a lot):
- This is what the Biologist wants for Christmas. This is what I want. But lets stop being ridiculous and get real. Love is all you need anyway – right?
- I might be stalking this Pinterest…
- Since there is no Starbucks here…I am thinking about making some of these
- Be thankful